Wednesday, October 5, 2011

It's like dodging bullets!


Man, I love that song above!
Anyway... So here we go with another update. I actually think that I'm going to start something new with a few things, like posting images of the week or something and talking a little bit about maybe upcoming events in Memphis or perhaps posting tutorials and links on how to do this stuff.

Artist of the Week: ItchyNick
The amazing thing about this artist is their approach to Graphic Design in a very illustrator point of view. They seem to have a grasp on both great design and great rendering and illustration techniques. If you look at their work so far as a whole, their body of work shows heavy line usage, and very painterly paint strokes. Hopefully they will continue to post their pieces relating to this project.
I still have loads and loads of pieces to scan because my sketchbook for Drawing class is about half-way full.
Every page is full to the brim because I hate not using every ounce I can in my pages.

The Halloween Haunted House is coming up soon for Memphis College of Art.

Also, this weekend the Memphis Brooks Museum ends its long standing exhibit of the Impressionists. There is actually an epic show coming up there soon, Armed and Dangerous it's all about Medieval Weaponry! Who doesn't like that kind of stuff?!

Anyway, I suppose it's on to the art huh?
Here we go:

Armed and Dangerous


Title: Armed and Dangerous
Date: 9/8/2011
Medium: Graphite
Scale: Original is 4" x 6"

A study on how light is shown on a suit made completely out of reflective spandex. Taken from a photo.

James Franco



Title: James Franco
Date: 9/18/2011
Medium: Graphite
Scale: Original is 11" x 17"

Image was a copy from one in a magazine. The lighting was perfect, I just had to copy it!

Post-Apocalyptic Alice



Title: Post-Apocalyptic Alice
Date: 9/24/2011
Medium: Graphite
Scale: Original is 9" x 12"

This was an unfinished attempt to get into the Character of the Week contest on www.conceptart.org: Warrior Alice
My thoughts were to implement the Cheshire Cat in her weapon. And also that she would be a bit more 'punky' what with her dress sewn closed to resemble pants. My fiancee actually helped me come up with the concept for this one (she's clever, that one).

Back Muscles are CRAZY



Title: Back Muscles are CRAZY
Date: 9/25/2011
Medium: Graphite
Scale: Original is 9" x 12"


Alcide Herveaux


Title: Alcide Herveaux
Date: 9/18/2011
Medium: Graphite
Scale: Original is 11" x 17"

Mugshots



Title: Mugshots
Date: 9/18/2011
Medium: Graphite
Scale: Original is 9" x 12"

These photos were actually a study from a funny magazine I found at the gas station. It's filled with nothing but the convicts that were 'caught today'. Pretty damn silly some of the expressions that these people have.

Anyway... more to come later, I still have to scan the schoolwork sketchbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Mat @artofmatk

Follow Ash @ashley.storyteller