Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Applied Studies

Applied Studies


Title: Applied Studies
Date: January 19 & 20, 2013
Medium: Photoshop CS3

Notes: So... I was attempting something new: a master painting, and then immediately afterwards I would jump in and try to paint one using the techniques I just learned.
The portrait on the left is a Sorolla.
Using the strokes and brush work from the left, I tried jumping in and painting a portrait that was in a similar vein using the same brushes and strokes that I just used. This of course proved harder than expected. I think I will try more of this soon (as you can see from the half-started piece on the bottom left).

Environment Speeds


Title: Environment Speeds
Date: January 20, 2013
Medium: Photoshop CS3

Notes: Studying environments to +1 on them. Actually got this idea entirely from Lee Parks here. His are quite a bit better, but then I can honestly say that he studies environments far more than I do. Something that I should try and play catch-up on sometime soon.
It might not only help my characters from just floating in a space, but will most likely help my colors get closer to a more realistic palette instead of being quite off.

Here's Pinky, where's the Brain?


Title: Here's Pinky, where's the Brain?
Date: January 19, 2013
Medium: Photoshop CS3
Scale: Original is 1200px x 2000px

Notes: Yet again, more of those photostudies while listening to my madam read books. She's already on the third book of The Strain, and I highly recommend that people read it. It's AWESOME! :)

Edit: BONUS TUTORIAL!


  • Step 1: Render Background some, this will help you to define your 'character space'.
  • Step 2: Sketch out the character in it's entirety (or at least what you plan to paint in later.
  • Step 3: Wash layer. Basically throw a quick wash over what your want the basic backdrop colors to be.
  • Step 4 & 5: Render, render, and more rendering.
  • Step 6: Because I was a little unsure of all the crazy jewelry and add-on stuff this girl had, I made a new layer and just popped it up there.


As always, any questions, ask 'em in the comments!


Anatomy (from Imagination)


Title: Anatomy (from Imagination)
Medium: Pencil

Notes: So, from the last time you saw some pencils, I have tried that mouth technique using no reference at all and have discovered that I can draw a mouth in pretty much any way using that technique. So I tried continuing on with the full head and even some body, and discovered that I need to go back to the drawing board even more before I can just spit these things out from imagination. More studies of shape design for sure.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, that is adorable that your girlfriend reads to you while you work! Hey, you didn't go to Sea Isle Elementary by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah she reads constantly. She told me the best way for her to understand her reading is to read out loud. Thus I have an awesome audio book going at most times.

      Yeah, I went to Sea Isle a loooonnnnggg time ago...

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I'm John Kiihnl 's older sister. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwrrr thanks so much! Your oils are just as amazing!

      We'll have to chat sometime... I need to get on Skype more often, but if you ever wanna talk, I'm on usually late (like 2 - 4 AM hahaha)

      I think I messaged you on your tumblr, if you ever want to do an art trade, I'm down for it.
      Also, how are John and Halle :) I haven't seen them in quite some time. I hope that they are well and hope you are doing well as well lol

      Delete
  3. Yes, let's do talk! I haven't quite figured out tumblr, so I'm not sure how to check my messages :/ but maybe on Skype or see each other around town.... Halle's doing well, John's doing probably about as well as you might expect. It's so much fun finding you on here!

    ReplyDelete

Follow Mat @artofmatk

Follow Ash @ashley.storyteller