Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Gibson Girls

We've been doing a ton of drawing and ink stuff that I will show later in my Illustration class.

John actually introduced me to a cool new illustrator, Charles Dana Gibson. I think that this is pretty much the epitome of what I want to do in terms of my ink works. And then learn to translate that into digital painting (perhaps over the line work?).

Anyway, just a one-hour study session. Trying to learn how to really pay attention to what I'm drawing. John, I'm just throwing it out there if you see this... you're blowing my mind teaching me these awesome techniques!

Studying Techniques


Title:  Studying Techniques
Date: September 19, 2012
Medium: Photoshop

Notes: Each of these is using a different technique to get value. I'm trying to learn every way I can and see what really sticks for me. Honestly the Gibson method might be the most interesting, but how does that translate to painting? I mean I guess I could start to put washes on top of what I draw, but I feel like I need some color instead of just straight value. Maybe I could digital paint over these lines? I'm not sure yet really... will definitely need more experimentation and practice before this makes sense. Anyway, the second method is a bit closer to edge / planar analysis. It was meant to find the contours and big mass of color to just get all the things in the right place. And finally, the third one is a subtractive form of painting. I was just blocking in the black shapes and then coming back into it with the lighter tones until it started to get closer to what I was looking for. Hopefully all of these make sense, but regardless... I'll have more of them soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Mat @artofmatk

Follow Ash @ashley.storyteller