Friday, June 14, 2013

Out of the Box Thinking

Outside the Box Ashley


Title: Outside the Box Ashley
Date: June 11, 2013
Medium: Charcoal, Chalk
Scale: 9" x 12"

Notes:  It's hard to capture someone while they are just reading, because their head constantly swivels and changes position. I think that learning to simplify life into a static image is one of the hardest things that one can do because the motion is what makes life.
For this piece I tried to blend the two medias together as seamless as I can. I still think that I made her face a little longer than it is in real life, and a little narrower. I really need to stop worrying about the boundaries of the page. Fred Burton (my Life Drawing instructor from last semester) actually had some really good advice: "Draw what you see exactly how you see it, even if you have to add a page to the outside to fit what you're looking at. Don't worry about the size of your media when you start out, just try to get the most accurate representation of your figure possible." Maybe I could have used another sheet or a bigger sheet attached to this one to keep the image from looking so cramped.

Anatomy Study: Bodies in Motion - 1


Title: Anatomy Study: Bodies in Motion - 1
Date: June 12, 2013
Medium: Photoshop

Notes:  This is an awesome experiment, and I recommend it to anyone pursuing comics as a potential career path. Okay, so, take this website and literally draw every pose back to back. Not only will this level up your media's skill, but will very, very quickly improve your overall anatomy. As you can see here from pose one to pose six, my painting skill increased ten-fold just in that small span of time. I still have quite a few more poses in this series (if you want to follow along, I'm doing this series]. I plan on doing literally every one of t these because for comics next semester I need to get a good handle on not only including more than one figure in an image, but also combat scenarios and character overlap.
I think once I finish with this series I will try to start putting a few characters in battle mode in some sort of context so they aren't just floating idly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Mat @artofmatk

Follow Ash @ashley.storyteller