Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Stake Land -- A Review

So I just finished Mass Effect for the second time... and I have to say, it was just as fulfilling as the first time I played it. Honestly, I'm now going to make a run with a Vanguard and try out Insanity difficulty. It seems like it will be hard as I'm already encountering Geth Destroyers and I haven't even left Eden Prime yet. But regardless, I mainly just wanted to bring up Mass Effect for the music. If you haven't played it or heard the soundtrack at least, then I believe you are missing out to the max (ESPECIALLY the ending theme)! It (recently) took my number one spot for top game (which was long held by Chrono Trigger).

I'm actually wondering if my choices for video games are based all around the soundtrack more than anything. I could probably list like one-hundred games right now that I absolutely love the soundtracks for (I'd like to know your favorites in the comments below). 

On a side note... I'm going to try something new from here forward. I want to try and start writing reviews of movies that I watch along with the painting. I'm no English major, but I want to try and drum up some appeal for the movies I watch. Maybe in the future my madam will pick up the reigns and write the reviews (hers would be infinitely better than mine HAHAHAHA).


STAKE LAND
"Martin was a normal teenage boy before the country collapsed in an empty pit of economic and political disaster. A vampire epidemic has swept across what is left of the nation's abandoned towns and cities, and it's up to Mister, a death dealing, rogue vampire hunter, to get Martin safely north to Canada, the continent's New Eden."

Stake Land -- A Review


Title: Stake Land -- A Review
Date: June 17, 2013
Medium: Photoshop

Notes:  So, if The Road, 30 Days of Night and Lone Wolf and Cub all had a baby, this would be it. This movie in my honest opinion is kind of an unnoticed gem. It has a certain amount of horror factor that plays almost from the very beginning (but I guess this should be obvious what with the vampire theme being all-throughout). But somehow when watching the movie it becomes a bit blurry as to who the real monsters are. I don't want to reveal anything, but when watching movies like this I think most people go into it with a certain degree of moral gray areas.

Technically, I think the acting is pretty spot on, and I honestly had a hard time picking out any character that didn't really suit my taste. The main thing that shines though, I think, is the ambiance. The sets are all really well lit and the fast-paced cinematography adds another level of depth. Couple that with some great dialog (Mr. might be one of my favorite (anti?)heroes that I've come across in this genre -- plus he's a real smart ass), and some over-the-top action, and you get this movie all wrapped up in a tortilla.

About the one thing that didn't seem to be as good in this movie was probably Belle.  She seems a little out-of-place in this environment to me. Maybe it's her innocent nature? Maybe it's the fact that she seems to need to be protected? I'm not entirely sure, but from beginning to end, she just seems to not fit quite right into the little troupe. And oddly... her hair seems to stay perfectly clean all the way to the end.

Overall, I think this movie is a pretty damn good movie, and I had no expectations when starting to watch it. I would suggest that you just grab a beer, grab some popcorn and just enjoy the ride in the back seat of Mr.'s crappy giloppy. 

Rating:  ****

2 comments:

  1. I'm very much into FTL (Faster Than Light)'s soundtrack at the moment. I'm sure you'll dig it if you've been back through Mass Effect recently. Still trying to find the trilogy for the PS3 for a non-silly price. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQbOAEP-vgM

    Is that just a still study? There's some pretty good stuff going on in there, but the center guy kills it a bit. You may want to veer away from movie still studies and do more master studies -- your color usage would likely receive much more benefit from that practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other notable soundtrack favorites of late:

    Bastion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLA0vB9LCTM

    Deus Ex: HR - www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFkHbDd3qMs

    The Last Story (Nobuo Uematsu, son) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBBHF5wou94

    Metal Gear Rising - http://youtu.be/19vQPM5u904?t=9m5s

    :D

    ReplyDelete

Follow Mat @artofmatk

Follow Ash @ashley.storyteller