Monday, August 12, 2013

Dogma

Ashton Kutcher on Success

You know what I'm sick of? Apathy. Excuses. Laziness.

All of these words are so negative. I hear people everyday talk about how "If only I could have done this..." It just grinds on me everyday. If you want to do it, STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Just do it. Try something new, try it again, don't give up. It might sound cliche, but that old Nike slogan had it right: Just Do It. I think truer words could not be said.

Stop letting things get in the way. If something distracts you, get rid of it. Move it, change things. The world doesn't change in a day. It takes time, but just stick with it.

If it's one thing I've learned since I've started doing art, you just have to do it. There is no special 'instructions' to doing it. You just have to get out there and do it. The media doesn't matter, the size of your paper doesn't matter. Honestly, my Life Drawing professor had it right in some capacity "Some of the most interesting work throughout history wasn't even done with the intention of it coming out that way." Basically just get in there, make a mess. Go in with an open mind, don't think about the results, think about the journey there. And once you get to that destination, look forward and grab a new one.

I've had people ask me why I do art, or even how I got started. Well firstly, I don’t think there is anything else I can do. I tried a multitude of jobs… everyone of them always inevitably led back to doing art somehow.

I worked at a movie theater as a ticket taker: I drew.
I worked as a check printer: I drew.
I worked as an I.T.: I drew.

Over time I saw a pattern and so I just stuck with it. You can actually track my progress from beginning to now…

The point I’m trying to make with this rambling is that everyone needs to stop making excuses and just fucking do it. Do exactly what you set your mind on. I think there is an old saying that goes something like: “Do what you love and life will work itself out.”


KMFDM - "Dogma"


Repo! The Genetic Opera: Pure Addiction


Title: Repo! The Genetic Opera: Pure Addiction
Date: August 8 - 12, 2013
Medium: Photoshop
Scale: Original is 2788px x 4200px

Notes: WHEW! Painting is a blast, but this one was getting close to wearing me out.
This is from Repo! The Genetic Opera. As with all the other fan art I've done for it, if you haven't seen it, you definitely should.
This movie pretty much epitomizes everything I love: Dark themes, technology pretty much taking over, cyberpunk feelings, I'm even a sucker for a musical. I just love this damn movie. Hopefully this painting seems to help drum up even more interest for this one.
Anyway, more painting to come... I still feel like I have one more in me before school starts.

Hopefully these tutorials are helping someone...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Mat @artofmatk

Follow Ash @ashley.storyteller