Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Illustration 3 -- Uprising (100 Circles and Silhouettes)

Muse -- "Uprising"

100 Circles






Title: 100 Circles
Date: August 19 - 26, 2013
Medium: Pencil, Gouache, Ink and Brush
Scale: Each 'page' is 9" x 12"

Notes: We were to paint 100 circles of differing colors (trying not to repeat colors if at all possible) and use those as our driving tool for creating objects and illustrations inside of each. We could combine circles to create a larger piece or break the frame of the circle, the main point was to use the circle as a focal point.

This was actually a really interesting exercise and I found out that doing them while watching TV really helps a ton. You start to force yourself to see things that you wouldn't normally see. I tried to slightly coordinate the circle's color with the object placed inside so that it would further reinforce the image placed into it. I'm not sure it worked out 100%, but I tried.
See if you can guess all the references... there are fifteen in total. Good luck.

40 Silhouettes







Title: 40 Silhouettes
Date: August 19 - 26, 2013
Medium: Pencil, Brush and Ink
Scale: Each 'page' is 9" x 12"

Notes: The next assignment we have is to simplify 40 objects into basic silhouettes.
I instantly broke these down into groups for some reason (maybe I unconsciously read ahead on the syllabus?).  Either way, I tried to find some interesting silhouettes that were nearby, or that I already had a reference image of. That way I wouldn't have to travel far.
The next step is take each of the silhouettes that we found and trace them into a basic outline and make something completely different inside of them. The point is to sort of do a juxtaposition of outer shape as a whole with a different illustration on the inside. As of right now I'm really enjoying the Destruction through Nature set (group 10).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Mat @artofmatk

Follow Ash @ashley.storyteller