Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Illustration 3 -- Communication Arts and Silhouettes

Communication Arts Thumbs




Title: Communication Arts Thumbs
Date: August 20 - September 3, 2013
Medium: Pencil
Scale: Each 'page' is 9" x 12"

Notes: For this assignment we are required to submit to an annual with an illustration. It's pretty much all about making something that is not only promotional to you, but to make a piece that you really enjoy. Of course it's also a form of promotional material.

So I thought we were supposed to make a minimum forty, but I missed the mark slightly. I ended up being short like three I think. It's actually harder than you think when the stakes are so open. For someone to just come up to and be like, "Draw stuff that you enjoy." Sounds easy, right? Well it's actually harder than I thought. I just started drawing random stuff by the end of it because for some reason I work best when there is some sort of direction I'm supposed to follow. Oh well though, I ended up with quite a few pieces that I actually want to pursue for this and maybe doing them further will spawn even more pieces.

Silhouette Refining


Title: Silhouette Refining
Date: September 2 - 9, 2013
Medium: Pencil, Photoshop CS3

Notes: This is actually the continuation of this assignment. I'm just trying to push it as far as I can.
I thought that turning nature objects into war scenes would be really interesting so you have a rose turning into a soldier shooting an assault rifle, a bush turning into a huge explosion, and a lily pad turning into the aftermath of the soldier, where he is becoming homeless and wandering.
Soon this assignment will be full pieces and I'm excited to start showing more finalized work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Mat @artofmatk

Follow Ash @ashley.storyteller